Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Hear This Isn't Living

The Future

For the first time in the history of love
I worried about a broken heart.
I saw the future and I was shaken.
I was missing you terribly, desperately,
the curtains blocking sunlight like shrouds.
I saw the future and in it, I had finally
forgotten to be rational
forgotten to measure out each decision
instead I ran full-force into your arms,
only to be dropped rudely-
all the king's men could not put me together
with all the glue in the world.
I saw the future- for once I was not considerately
informing a man it was his time to move on.
Instead you left abruptly and quickly
but not painlessly.
I know you are the one I would let break my heart.
This future was not as I pictured.


A Solid Defense

I wear a mask, stainless steel. It covers my entire body.
Some might call it armor
but I call it as I see it- my protection of lies.
So disregard:what I say,
the posture of my spine,
how I kiss you-
none of it is real in comparison to
the words battling in my mind.
I tell you nothing of what I think:
I even betray with my eyes
schooled glassy like marbles,
the same reflective depth.
I shield so you can't disappoint.
You ask
Will I see you?
I say
No.
But I think
I would see you forever.
But I deflect, defend
and walk away.

No comments: