Friday, June 6, 2008

Epiphanies and Defense Mechanisms

You unzip your skin but all I see are bones

You unzip your skin but all I see are bones-
nothing special, nothing to brag about,
nothing worth the way
you'd been holding me in suspense.
I'd seen you laid bare before,
when you hadn't chosen to reveal yourself:
when fate and failure intervened
and split you open at the seams.
So the utmost private innermost you
is not so surprising: my apologies.
Your carefully composed unveiling
is laughable in the dark.
***

Maryland Weather

The world might have drowned
but at least it cracked the heat
hovering over us, a suspended dome
of heavy glazed pottery,
dripped in honeyed brown.
We were trapped beneath
with no air to breathe
only moisture in our throats
weighing us down against car seats.
Like a tumble and plunge to a hard floor
rain burst through the thickened air.
Relief to a dark skied day.
Floods on the roadways.
***

Blue Sweater

Will you hate me
if I stiffen when
you promise to be the last?
I edge away; I doubt
those dreams of forever.
No one can swear eternity.
No one is so omniscient.
No one is so true.
I am skeptical of everlasting love,
even from the divine.
So how can you:
mortal, flawed, with a penchant
for blue sweaters,
offer me something
I think is impossible
to exist?

No comments: