Friday, March 7, 2008

Poems of Patience

March Third

Embraced in the sun,
today I forget
about blinding white snow
still lingering outside my window.
I only see what
the world should be:
green and vibrant like my song.
I am standing still
in a world in a thaw.
Every impulse becomes
an action committed,
because I am young
like the grass trying to breathe.
I will never acknowledge
gray skies again.
I am solely celebrating
the return of life and ludicrous living,
refusing to realize I am finite.
We are invincible
and we shall never be cold again.
***

He is Reluctant

If the sun is faint
and weak on the window sill,
I will sing him to
full-flame,
until he bakes the earth
under a crust of
dry, scratching grass.
I will sacrifice
long-sleeved sweaters
and boots
so the sun will rise
in all his white heat,
the promise of sunburnt-skin
the lure to shine once more.
I will never wear
gray or black again;
only violet, yellow,
and orange
to coax an illusion
of spring, tricking
the sun into assuming
he is late.

No comments: