Friday, February 8, 2008

More Poems

Violet-Colored Fireworks

She looks at him the same way
I look at him:
like she can see the future
in the sky of his eyes.
I have never had the skill of battle
in love or luck or war
So I can only relinquish any claim
and suffer silent and unprotesting,
watching her games-
to her, he will be one in many
to me he had been the one.
I will stand, one in the crowd
and watch in awe
as their short-lived romance explodes,
a spectator to violet-colored fireworks
that should have been my own.
***

Without Restraint

You worry me because you fly
on open, twisting roads without restraint.
You are too reckless, too carefree,
too easy with living,
letting the radio rule mood and speed
while I clutch the seatbelt in fear.
You see my panicked face
and white knuckles.
And you laugh until I laugh
and I let go; I sing along with you.
I lean forward and I live with you.

No comments: